An AZIMUTH is an angular measurement in a spherical coordinate system used in navigation, mapping and astronomy.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

BP1_Welcome to my blog

This week starts the first class in my Education Media and Design Technology Masters Certificate program. I got a new MacBook Pro, a new email address and a ton of seriously cool, but intimidating, state-of-the-art software applications. As a technology lover I should be in heaven! If I could just get my Hotmail Calendars and iPhone and iCal working with my MobileMe account I would feel a lot more at ease. Don't want to miss an assignment or an appointment....

I'm learning my way around the Mac but as I said to the MobileMe tech I chatted with for 3 hours last night, I can't wait to get rolling but right now my wheels are square and I am sitting on the side of the road. Even though I have computer experience and a degree to prove it, I am still struggling. This experience has been a gentle reminder to never make assumptions about what someone knows. We have all walked a different path to get to where we stand right now. Without collaboration we would exist in solitude and ignorance.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Square wheels.... I know what you mean. I felt that way when I first began looking into the course work for this class. I was upset, unsettled, and disappointed. But after talking with the instructor and participating in a wimba session last night, I am at ease, for the most part! I have faith that you will LOVE your mac, this is my second macbook and I do not believe I will ever own a PC again. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Melissa! This is my fourth class and EVERYONE was frustrated in the first few weeks of class getting to know their Mac. It does not come out of the box ready to go and it takes time to adjust. Feel free to be in contact if you need assistance. We have all been there and still occasionally "forget" even some basics. I forgot how to Zip a file to upload one day. FSO support is very helpful if you contact by phone. Fortunately, this class does not have lots of documents to be uploaded to the system each week. In the beginning, I used both my PC and Mac to get my work done. Also, it is helpful to use both Firefox and Safari. Sometimes when you cannot access coursework or upload through one, the other one will work. Though it may feel like it at first, you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete